Saturday, March 8, 2008

Wikis - the limit is set only by our imagination

Was interesting looking at all the different wikis. I had no idea there were so many on the web. My only experience has been with Wikipedia, and that has not included adding any information or editing, just reading information.

I looked at the Library success wiki and really believe this serves an important purpose. There are some great ideas on there and available to everyone. The library camp was interesting. A great way to get an agenda happening on something like this. People planning to attend just add their topic of interest.

The Montana history wiki was a disappointment though. I can't really see how they can call it a wiki, as they don't allow anyone to add information.

And why am I not surprised there is a wiki for Star Wars! Of course there would be. I'm sure there is one for Star Trekkies too.

I like the idea of a wiki in libraries for staffing purposes. Our staff come and go at varied times through out the week, and it would be a great way of everyone adding their bit to a discussion or idea without trying to get us all together on the one day. As for our customers, a wiki would work well as an oral history for our local area. There are plenty of people out there that know and remember important aspects of our history. It would be great to have it all in one spot on our website. I am sure there are plenty more ways wikis could be used in a library, the list is only limited by our imagination.

No comments: