Monday, March 3, 2008

RSS Feeds

RSS feeds are an interesting concept and I'm sure those who monitor the web for information find them very helpful if not essential.

But I for one prefer alerts, which send to my mail box links to the site for new information or in the case of a blog, a new post. I don't have to go anywhere else other than my inbox, and I have a choice of clicking it or not.

Creating an account with Bloglines was easy enough, but will I visit it each day to read my feeds? Probably not.

My feed for this post with ABC news, again was easy to do. I am very impressed with Bloggers set up. It is so easy to use. I will look for other, more relevant feeds as I continue Learning 2.0, adding them as I go.

For libraries, RSS feeds or alerts could certainly play an important part. As others have mentioned in the Learning blog, customers who do not visit the library on a regular basis but are still interested in what is happening will find them a great service. It is just another way we can keep in touch with our community through Web 2.0.

No comments: