Saturday, March 22, 2008

Technorati, LibraryThing & Widgets ... Fun, Fun, Fun!

This has been quite a week. I've been introduced to Technorati .... Interesting. I registered my OpenBook Blog with them. Do seem to have heavier traffic, but not sure if Technorati has anything to do with it. Then I moved into more familiar ground with delicious and LibraryThing. I have a listing with delicious, but I love what Sutherland Library are doing with it. What a great way to post sites for your users. We have what we call 'Weblinks' on our site, which is a list of websites we have investigated as useful to our users. But to be honest, I think the Sutherland's link to delicious and their tag cloud of subject headings is much more in step with what is happening on the web today. There is no such thing as being a single entity on the web now. Linking and networking is what we need to be doing, and social bookmarking is entrenched deep with web users already. If we are not to be left behind, we need to embrace this technology now.

LibraryThing is great. I joined a few years ago and have been slowly building my book shelf. But I was a little upset when I went to log in to link it with this blog. It seems I have been erased! I was no where to be found. I'll admit it has been awhile since I last added any titles - maybe six months. But to have just been wiped like that? Looks like I've been pushed aside for paying customers. Does anyone know what the time limit is on non-paying subscribers? Anyway, I started a new shelf and am having a go at adding a widget to this blog. We shall soon see if I'm successful.

Catch you all next week! Cheers ... JoDee

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for your You Tube video - the time lapse idea was cute. I really like Library Thing too, so I'm hoping my library doesn't disappear - I did invest quite a bit of time in it! I better go back and visit it.

Kathleen A