Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Final Adventure

In the end, I guess this is what Web 2.0 is all about - social networking. I found Josh Bernoff's article interesting as he is specific about cultural sectors and how they need to expand on their 'measure of buzz and awareness' within the community. And as today's community has an on-line focus, this is where we need to be. Also the idea of support from community members with knowledge relating to your collection is of interest. We are currently developing a 'Living Libraries' program where members can borrow a living member of the community to learn about certain areas they have expertise in. An idea I think that could also work through social networking.

I love ALA's MySpace. I have a myspace of my own ... mainly for keeping in touch with my son while he travels around Australia. It is a great way of keeping up with the youth of today, so libraries really need to look at social networking if we want to stay relevant to them. I have also tried FaceBook, but I'm not nearly as impressed with it. There seems to be too much nonsense (gift giving, quizzes, surveys etc..) going on that I find a waste of time. It also seems slower and no where near as reliable.

Possibilities for public libraries? Endless really. We could put our selves just about anywhere and everywhere if we wanted. Except for Second World (which simply scares the hell out of me!) I can see advantages in all the Web.2.0 applications we have looked at simply because it has us out there with the growing population of on-line users. And if we are going to survive in this new on-line world, first and formost we need presence

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I really like your comment

"... if we are going to survive in this new on-line world, first and formost we need presence"

That is why this course is important for raising our awareness of what is out there - and teaching up how to engage in these forums.

Ellen (PLS)